Thursday, March 02, 2006

A Post Office Box in Schenectady

Kurt Vonnegut in The Guardian:

`I became a so-called science fiction writer when someone decreed that I was a science fiction writer. I did not want to be classified as one, so I wondered in what way I'd offended that I would not get credit for being a serious writer. I decided that it was because I wrote about technology, and most fine American writers know nothing about technology I got classified as a science fiction writer simply because I wrote about Schenectady, New York. My first book, Player Piano, was about Schenectady. There are huge factories in Schenectady and nothing else. I and my associates were engineers, physicists, chemists, and mathematicians. And when I wrote about the General Electric Company and Schenectady, it seemed a fantasy of the future to critics who had never seen the place.'

Of course, today, Schenectady more closely resembles something from Blade Runner

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home