Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Quote of the Day

(Somehow I seem to have spent the '90s uh, preoccupied, and so I seem to have pretty much missed out on the entire "Usenet" phenomenon.)

Until recently baby production was largely dependent on slave labour; as soon as women are allowed to answer the question "Would you like to squeeze as many objects the size of a watermelon out of your body as it takes to kill you?" they generally answer "No, thank you." This leads to falling birthrates everywhere women are not kept enslaved and ignorant of the alternatives.

- Someone named James Davis Nicoll (http://james-nicoll.livejournal.com/) (... who is famous enough to have a Wiki article; fame partially based upon his invention of the concept of the "Brain Eater" as cause of writer's decline...) in Usenet article ddnv2a$ss2$1@reader2.panix.com (2005)

ADDENDUM: Now that I'm aware of him, I'm running into him all over the internets. Peter Watts also quotes Nicoll on his webpage: "Whenever I find my will to live becoming too strong, I read Peter Watts."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home